TA-DAH! The Rapunzel "practice" bag is finished! (well, almost!)
Much to my delight, the second attempt proved to be the best method. While it took me probably about 3 hours to complete this bag, now that i know what I am doing, one can only hope it will take less time to make the actual bags for favors. I am anxiously awaiting my Hobby Lobby order to arrive any day now. The bags I will be making will be much smaller than this one, sized at 6x5. I will sew the tulle all the way around the bags and purchased different tulle for the bags than I used on the sample. (shiny tulle instead for the princess bags--makes it look a bit more glittery).
I pinned three separate levels of tulle and sewed each level individually after pleating and pinning down. I included a bit more white on the top level so it looks more even. This worked out great. I did NOT sew tulle all the way around the practice bag. I may end up giving this bag to another little girl, so decided not to b/c of her size. I thought the tulle on the inside would be too much for her at this point.
I topped it with a row of elastic sequins purchased from JoAnn's (NOTE: Sequins are NOT cheap...bring a coupon when you buy this or look for it to be on sale in the ad on the weekends.) I sewed the bottom of the sequins first and still have the top to do. This was easy and I recommend using the same color thread as the sequins to hide imperfect sewing tactics if you fall into that category. (I sure do!)
Helpful HINT: For up close and personal directions on how to pleat and sew the tulle onto a bag, go here:
http://craftinit.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutu-tote-bag-tutorial.html
That blog was quite helpful.
What's left?
-sewing top of sequins to ensure that it's secure and sewing them on the backside of the bag
-trimming the tulle on the bottom so it's a bit more even
-re-sewing the tulle at each end of the bag if needed
It's always enjoyable when a vision and a "copycat" version of something you see somewhere actually works out and looks super cute. A proud crafting moment, that is for sure. Now the list of girls coming to B's party continues to grow. Seriously girl...haha I am worried what the boys will get because these are SO cute and SO cool. What do you think they would like at at Princess themed party???? Suggestions are welcome!
No comments:
Post a Comment