Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Princess tote bag attempt #1: ##FAIL


CUTE BUT FAIL

Yes it was an EPIC fail, actually. I started out making it like I would a traditional tutu using a 1 1/2 inch off white ribbon as the "anchor"...and while the method worked, sewing it onto the bag worked too. However, it was WAY TOO POOFY up top and crooked as you can see. I still needed to sew some sequin strips up there, so this would have made it look too lumpy. I needed it to look flat. Therefore, I scoured Google to see what other tips were out there. Thanks to You Tube, a possible solution was discovered: pleating the tulle. This is pretty easy and it lays FLAT. I should have used my sewing machine, but opted to try it by hand. The pleating and sewing took me about an hour for the first layer. Now I know why people charge so much for them (although they probably use their sewing machines, which I might try with the next bag, which will be a Snow White-themed bag).

I recommend that you use the rolls of tulle, which you can find in the wedding section at Michael's (and probably JoAnn's). They are $2.99 a roll. I am going to try and find some yellow and pink glitter tulle, which I am guessing will be in the fabric section of JoAnn's.

Another recommendation: make the bag using three layers of pleated tulle.

Okay one more: make sure you have pins so you can pin it down while you are pleating.

Because I cut a bunch of purple into long strips to make the first bag, a lot of tulle was wasted. I decided to re-use those pieces and pleated piece by piece because it was not necessary to throw that tulle away. Might as well use it; after all, this was a practice bag anyway. Remember, tulle can also be used for making fun hair pieces, which of course will be attempted later this summer.

Materials:

-while waiting for my 6x5 tote bags (in all colors) from HObby Lobby to arrive, I picked up a bigger purple bag at Michael's for $1.69

-Roll of Tulle (whatever color(s) you need

-sewing machine or a needle and some thread

-scissors

-pins

-Strand of sequins (probably two strands, I am guessing)...haven't purchased this yet, but will soon


By the way...please please please consider making your OWN tutus. They are SOOOO easy to make. (HELLO YOUTUBE!!!) No lie. If you have some time to try it out and LOVE crafting, I say why not?! Use coupons and get the tulle 40% off so it's even cheaper and find some elastic. You can use 1 1/2 inch ribbon or those elastic hair bands can work (that you use when you work out to hold your hair back while it's in a pony tail) b/c they stretch like a waste band. Soooo I am thinking that my beloved niece will get a tutu from me for Christmas and I have the PERFECT IDEA for a color scheme. :) Brynn and C. will have matching tutus. I can't wait! I even might send one to a friend's girlie for her 4th birthday. (pending time and how they turn out)

Pics to come soon of Attempt #2...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment