Sunday, May 13, 2012

DIY Comic Book Birthday Banner

Materials you'll need for this project:
-3 comic books
-a Sharpie
-scissors
-different colors of cardstock (or white will also work)
-bias tape (you can find this near the zippers at JoAnn's Fabric...pick the color of your choice; I chose red)
-some type of adhesive
-a sewing machine

This is one of my all-time favorite projects that I have ever created for one of my children's birthday parties. It's no surprise that this fun little idea was discovered on Pinterest and that I've been dying to test it out since the day I pinned it. I admit that finding the right comic books for this project is definitely a necessity, depending on what kind of party you are throwing. Since ours was a Marvel/DC mix of superheroes, it was definitely easier to find what I was looking for. Starting with Ebay, I found some really cool comic books that were old school and perfect for this project. However, many of them were bid items and took days for the auction to end. I couldnt' wait that long. Next stop: Toys 'R Us. Yes, they sell comics! At $2.99 a pop, I picked up three different books that would work perfectly.

Follow this link to look at a few photos of how to cut out the comic book triangles. That's right; you just start carefully ripping out the pages you want to make the banner out of and then start cutting yoru triangles. I looked through each comic book carefully before selecting the pages I wanted to use. There were a lot of good choices. I also made sure that I carefully posititioned the triangle shape over the image I wanted or which one I thought would look the best based on the cut.

NOTE CHANGE IN THE DIY PROJECT: If you are reading the link I posted above, I did make a couple of changes to the banner. First, I used different colors of cardstock and backed each comic book triangle. This helped keep each triangle from bending or getting ruined in transport to the party. The idea was genius, if you ask yours truly. It really helped hold the overall shape of the banner and helped tremendously when sewing it with the sewing machine.
Make sure you have the correct setting on your sewing machine.


I used a Sharpie to trace each shape and then used my handy scrapbooking gun to secure each comic book triangle to the cardstock. I pulled out my bias tape and left about 3-4 inches off of one end before starting to assemble the banner. I alternated/patterned out my comic book triangles by Batman, SpiderMan, Captain America, and then the Hulk. Then, I picked up my first triangle and slipped it into the fold of the bias tape. I used a straight stitch setting on my sewing machine and begain sewing across the top. EASY. Once I finished the first triange, I added another one directly next to it and began sewing. For this particular banner, there were ____ triangles total, which was the perfect size to fit across a fireplace mantel or a window.


After sewing the banner, I laid it flat on a table until it was time to hang it for the party. Honestly, that was the best way to store it to ensure that it would look really nice come party day. Hang and voila! It's a really FUN and easy way to decorate for your son's celebration. Bay absolutely adored this banner and wants it to hang in our house forever. I'm pretty attached to it myself.

I didn't end up using all of the bias tape, and after hanging it at the party, I just cut off the excess.

This would also look amazing in a bedroom or in a toy room if you had a comic book theme and of course, if you had the room to hang it. In fact, after writing this blog post a few weeks ago, I decided to hang it on my son's bunk bed across the end against the wall. It looks REALLY awesome! :)

Total Cost for this project: $12.00 or less depending what you have on hand already.
$2.99 for red bias tape
FREE: Cardstock--already had this at home
$2.99 x3 (although could have probably just purchased 2)for comic books

Have fun crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment